THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

14 September 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation #8
"I suppose, judging from the plainness of the servant and the carriage, Mrs. Fairfax is not a very dashing person"
"How do you do my dear?"
"She treats me like a visitor"
"I am only the housekeeper-the manager."
Miss Adela only speaks French
"Mr. Rochester was Mr. Rochester in her eyes; a gentleman, a landed proprietor-nothing more."

Jane suspects that Mrs. Fairfax is going to be another Mrs. Reed. When Jane gets there she couldn't have been more wrong, Mrs. Fairfax treats Jane as if she were a guest, an equal. We find out that Mrs. Fairfax isn't even the owner of the house but just manages it and Mr. Rochester is the owner and it is his ward, Adela, who Jane is going to govern. We learn very little about Mr. Rochester. I want to know why he isn't home to greet Jane and where he is.

No comments: