THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

14 September 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation #5
"Miss Temple is full of goodness"
"I fall into a sort of dream."
"Well then with Miss Temple you are good?"
"You are good to those who are good to you...If people were always kind and obedient to those who are cruel and unjust, the wicked people would have it all their own way."
"But I feel this, Helen: I must dislike those who, whatever I do to please then, persist in disliking me; I must resist those who punish me unjustly."
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity, or registering wrongs."
"I must be responsible for the circumstances, sir."
"My dear children,...that this girl, is a little cast away...but an interloper and an alien."
"Let her stand half an hour longer on that stool"
"I wished to die"

While Jane and Helen are talking Jane keeps going back to Miss Temple. Out of all the teachers Miss Temple is the kindest and Helen likes her the most. Helen has a hard time concentrating because she is always daydreaming. Jane goes on about how she would disike someone who dislikes her no matter what she does to please which i'm pretty sure that she is referring to Mrs. Reed. Helen doesn't believe in that she feels it is a waste to harbor feelings of dislike toward someone who did you wrong, especially since life is too short. I wonder if Helen's going to die or something and that is a foreshadowing of it. When Mr. Brocklehurst comes he does not approve of the cheese and bread snack or that the girls have two sets of clothes. He also points out Jane and repeats everything Mrs. Reed had said about Jane being wicked and made her stand on a stool in the middle of the room. After that she starts crying and wishes she were dead because now she feels everyone will not like her any more. I find it funny in a way that this incident has her balling her eyes out, yet constantly being beat by a big boy doesn't make her cry.

No comments: