THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

05 October 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation 33
"My master was long-suffering: so will I be."
"I could decide if I were but certain, were I but convinced that it is God's will I should marry you, I could vow to marry you here and now--come afterwards what would!"
like him, I had put love out of the question, and thought only of duty.
--a known, loved, well-remembered voice--that of Edward Fairfax Rochester; and it spoke in pain and woe wildly, eerily, urgently.
"My spirit, is willing to do what is right; and my flesh, I hope, is strong enough to accomplish the will of Heaven, when once that will is distinctly known to me."
"I too have some to see and ask after in England, before I depart for ever."
I was already on my master's very lands.
I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house--I saw a blackened ruin.
It was burnt down just about harvest time.
"It's quite certain that it was her and nobody but her that set it going."
"for when Mrs. Poole was fast asleep, the mad lady, who was as cunning as a witch, would take the keys out of her pocket, let herself out of her chamber, and go roaming about the house, doing any wild mischief that came into her head."
"and for all Mr. Rochester sought her as if she had been the most precious thing he had in the world, and he grew savage--quite savage on his disappointment."
"He would be alone too."
"He is stone-blind."
"Old John and his wife: he would have none else. He is quite broken down, they say."



Jane thinks she hears the voice of Mr. Rochester calling out to her but it is her imagination, yet an instinctive bond that is between him because something did happen to him. When she goes to Thorfield the place is burnt down. Someone who used to work there told Jane that Mr. Rochester became savage and isolated himself because Jane had left him and that Mr. Rochester's lunatic wife burnt down the place and that Mr. Rochester lost sight in his eyes and had to have his hand amputated. Jane is so distraut and goes to where he lives now to see him.

No comments: