THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

05 October 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation 24
"My father and my brother Rowland knew all this; but they thought only of the thirty thousand pounds, and joined the plot against me."
"For the doctors have discovered that my wife was mad-her excesses had prematurely developed the germs of insanity."
"I repudiated the contamination of her crimes, and wrenched myself from connection with her mental defects."
"I said this whilst I knelt down at, and unlocked which contained a brace of loaded pistols: I meant to shoot myself."
"Go and live again in Europe: there it is not known what a sullied name you bear; nor what a filthy burden is bound to you."
"My fixed desire was to find a good and intelligent woman, whom I could love: a contrast to the fury I left at Thornfield."
"Yet I could not live alone; so I tried the companionship of mistresses."
"Hiring a mistress is the next worse thing to buying a slave: both are often by nature, and always by position, inferior, and to live familarly, with inferiors is degrading."
To become the successor of these poor girls, he would one day regard me with the same feeling which now in his mind desecrated their memory.
"I heard you come home that night, Jane, though probably you were not aware and I thought of you, or watched for you."
"I wished to see whether you would seek me if i shunned you-but you did not."
You are my sympathy-my better self-my good angel-I am bound to you with a strong attachment."
"I wanted to have you safe before hazarding confidences."
"It would not be wicked to love me."
-"It would to obey you."
"Then you snatch love and innocence from me?"
"I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself."

Mr. Rochester believes that the arranged marriage was a plot to ruin him and get money out of it at the same time. He continueingly goes over how his wife is mad and is seeking pity from Jane and trying to use that as a reason for Jane to stay and love him. When he went to Europe he started a search for a woman worthy to be his wife; being unsuccessful and tired of being lonely he took up some mistresses. He found them inferior and grew tired of them, which wouldn't that happen with Jane because if they got married she would become his mistress. That is what makes Jane not want to stay with him any longer because she does not want to be thrown away. Mr. Rochester starts talking about their past together to manipulate Jane's feelings in an attempt to get her to stay. Jane convinces herself she cannot for if she does she will lose all self-respect and to keep it she would have to live alone.

No comments: