THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

05 October 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation 31
Literally, he lived only to aspire-after what was good and great, certainly: but still he would never rest; nor approve of others resting round him.
I comprehended all at once that he would hardly make a good husband: that it would be a trying thing to be his wife.
I saw he wished the quiter morrow was come.
He had not kept his promise of treating me like his sisters; he continually made little, chilling differences between us.
"I want you to give up German, and learn Hindostanee."
I could no longer talk or laugh freely when he was by
As for me, I daily wished more to please him: but to do so, I felt daily more and more that I must disown half my nature
"Now, Jane, you shall take a walk; and with me."
"Jane, come with me to India: come as my helpmeet and fellow labourer."
"God and nature intended you for a missionary's wife. It is not personal, but mental endowments they have given you: you are formed for labour, not my love. A missionary's wife you must-shall be. You shall be mine; I claim you-not for my pleasure, but for my Sovereign's service."
"If I join St. John, I abandon half myself: if I go to India, I go to premature death."
"He will never love me; but he shall approve me."

St. John takes Jane under his wing and starts teaching her things he wants her to learn. He treats her with indifference; nothinh like his sisters are treated. Once again Jane is playing the part of trying to please somebody. St. John requests that Jane marry him because it was what God wants; nothing to do with love. That made me crack up, what a way to propose to someone, at least with Mr. Rochester she was loved. Jane is in conflict because this marriage goes with her morals but she would not have love, which is what she rather have.

No comments: