THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

05 October 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation 27
"but you are a visitor, and must go into the parlour."
"That, I must plainly tell you, is out of my power to do; being absolutely without home and friends."
"Do you mean to say, that you are completely isolated from every connection?"
"I am near nineteen, but I am not married, No."
"I will tell you as much of the history of the wanderer you have harboured, as I can tell without compromising my own peace of mind-my own security, moral, and physical, and that of others.
"No, I fear discovery above all things; and whatever disclosure would lead to it, I avoid."
"She has already said that she is willing to do anything honest she can do, and you know, St. John, she has no choice of helpers: she is forced to put up with such crusty people as you."
The more I knew of the inmates of Moor House, the better I liked them.
As to Mr. St. John, the intimacy which had arisen so naturally and rapidly between me and his sisters, did not extend to him.
I was sure st. John Rivers-pure lived, conscientious, zealous as he was-had not yet found that peace of God which passeth all understanding: he had more found it than had I.
"And they will go in three days now?"

The Rivers girls are very hospitable, they wont let Jane do anything because she is their guest. When she is a little better St. John starts questioning Jane; she tells him parts of her past, that she is using a fake name, and isn't married which is a sore topic to bring up. When he is going to continue questioning Jane, his sister steps in and tells him to stop harassing Jane. The more Jane stays she likes the girls even more but doesn't have that connection with St. John because he is a crusty fellow. Jane and St. John have a paralle between them in a way that they haven't truely found God and accepted themselves.

No comments: