THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

04 October 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation 22
"It was not even that strange woman, Grace Poole."
"Of the foul German spectre-the Vampire."
"Sir, it removed my veil from its guant head, rent it in two parts, and flinging both on the floor, trampled on them."
"and that woman was-must have been-Grace Poole."
"When we have been married a year and a day, I will tell you: but not now."
She seemed the emblem of my past life; and he, I was now to array myself to meet, the dread, but adored, type of unknown future day.
I wanted to see the invisible thing on which, as we went along, he appeared to fastena glance fierce and fell.
"that if any of you know any impediment why ye may not lawfully be jioned together in matrimony, ye may now confess it"
"It simply consists in the existence of a previous marriage. Mr. Rochester has a wife now living."
"I affirm and can prove that on the 20th of October, Edward Fairfax Rochester..was married to my sister, Bertha Antoinetta Mason."
"I will produce him first..Mr. Mason.."
"I have been married, and the woman to whom I was married lives!"
"Bertha Mason is mad; and she came of a mad family-idiots and maniacs through three generations!"

When Mr. Rochester was gone, a woman went into Jane's room at night when she was sleeping. Jane woke and noticed it was not Grace Poole but some other woman that looked very dead and sickly. The woman grabbed Jane's veil and put it on then took it off and ripped it in half. When Mr. Rochester hears this he tells Jane that the woman was Grace Poole and that he will tell her why he keeps her in a year and a day. When the two are on their way to the chappel to get married Mr. Rochester is giving something or someone a nasty look from one of the windows of the house. I believe that the woman was mr. Rochester's wife and she's crazy and that's why he keeps her locked up and he doesn't want to tell Jane until later because by then Jane might have forgotten about it. Turns out I was right, go me!! At the ceremony when the priest is asking the does anyone have a reason these two should not be wed and yadda, yadda this man comes in saying mr. Rochester is already married to his sister and he had proof his brother Mr. Mason (the one who was stabbed earlier in the novel by his sister). After that accusation Mr. Rochester admitts to it and explains that she is crazy and her whole family is nuts.

No comments: