THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

05 October 2007

Jane Eyre

Annotation 30
"You don't know him-don't pronounce an opinion upon him."
"Briggs wrote to me of a Jane Eyre; the advertisements demanded a Jane Eyre; I knew a Jane Elliot. I confess that I had my suspecions, but it was only yesterday afternoon they were at once resolved into certainty. You own the name and renounce the alias?"
"Merely to tell you that your uncle, Mr. Eyre of Madeira, is dead; that he has left you all his property, and that you are now rich-merely that-nothing more."
"You are not, perhaps, aware that I am your namesake?-that I was christened St. John Eyre Rivers?"
"We are cousins; yes."
"You were serious when I told you you had a fortune; and now, for a matter of no moment, you are excited."
"You cannot fail to see that twenty thousand pounds divided equally between the nephew and the three nieced of our uncle, will give five thousand each?"
"With me, It is fully as much a matter fo feeling as of conscience: I must indulge in my feelings; I so seldom have had an oppurtunity of doing so."
"You cannot form a notion of the importance twenty thousand pounds would give you; of the place it would enable you to take in society."
"I don't want to marry, and never shall!"
"Yes, to go with me to Moor House: Diana and Mary will be at home in a week, and I want to have everything in order against their arrival."

St. John comes and visits Jane and casually brings up this orphan girl, who lived with the Reeds, went to lowood, worked at Thorfield, and almost married Mr. Rochester, and that this Mr. Briggs was looking for this girl, who's name is Jane Eyre. He them gets Jane to confess to being her, which she isn't concerned about all she cares is what's been going on with Mr. Rochester. St. John then tells Jane that they are cousins. She becomes very excited more so than hearing she is rich because her uncle died. Having family means more to her than materials and she wants to share the money with her cousins.

No comments: